Sunday 4 November 2012

Unity Partner Yoga

I love love love... partner yoga!


It was by far my most favourite workshop at the yoga show this year!
I like how the interaction of working with a partner made the practice more fun and light hearted.
Yoga means union and Unity partner yoga encourages union between oneself, your partner and everyone else in the group.

Unity partner yoga is more of a restorative practice and allows you to reach a deeper and more profound connection with oneself and others.
Partner work helps you to go deeper in your postures than you can normally go if you were practicing on your own.

The workshop was lead by the lovely Sevanti. Sevanti is a wonderful teacher and I really love her style of yoga. Doing her workshop definately opened up my personal practice aswell as my teaching skills.

During this workshop partners assisted each other to release into forward folds with ease, open up more in backbends, create more space and freedom in the hips and to twist deeper.
Partner yoga builds trust and good communication between partners, this is essential to the practice.

I loved partner yoga so much I have been using some of the techniques in my classes this week.
All of my students had lots of fun and really enjoyed it. They were all interacting more than usual and I found that pairing up the group broke down barriers between students.

I could tell by the look on students faces at the end of the class that they loved taking part just as much as I loved teaching them.  I will definitely be teaching more of partner yoga in the future and may even look into building partner yoga practices for relationships as it is a great way to get to know your other half on a deeper level. A few of my students actually suggested this at the end of one of my classes and they really loved the idea of working with their partners, especially for new relationships.

Have you tried partner yoga before? If you have, did it enhance your regular practice? I would love to hear your experiences.

Namaste

xXx Sharon xXx


No comments:

Post a Comment